Decisions of a company regarding its supply chain have a serious impact on the environment. All responsible executives must consider this. Making more sustainable choices is much easier when you see the facts clearly. This article’s goal is to help you with this!
Transportation is an essential part of our society and we must improve it together.
The need to reduce their ecological footprint puts pressure on companies in all sectors (this is particularly true for transportation and logistics). Fortunately, green thinking is becoming more widespread, and some even reduce the overall flow of goods by rethinking how and where they manufacture their products.
Transportation is the basis of all economies, one of the central and most essential elements of our society. In order to protect our environment, it is inevitable that we develop and implement new, more sustainable transportation methods. It is therefore essential that sectors highly dependent on transportation re-evaluate their methods and try to make choices that are even more responsible. Don’t worry, in this article we we’ll give you some tips how to do it!
Study and consider your options and the consequences of your actions!
Of course, in order to be able to plan more consciously, you will need to gather all the necessary information. It is important that you are aware of your own needs, market limits and deadlines. If this is done, consider all the available alternatives and think about the impact of each decision you are about to make on your business and on the environment.
To put it more simply: identify, prioritize and keep reevaluating things!
Here are some simple tips:
Optimizing – do not transport unnecessarily! Increase the utilisation of your vehicles’ capacity, opt for the most appropriate modes of transport for each phase and maximise the potentials of logistical planning.
Modal shifts-switch to more environmentally friendly transportation modes and new multimodal combinations.
Technological development & cooperation-The mutual efforts and cooperation of companies lead to innovations such as biofuels and more efficient transportation modes, which ultimately reduce their combined environmental impact and prevent climate change.
More sustainable and more economical modes of transporting goods
- Maritime transport at shorter distances– maritime transport at shorter distances is a practical way to reduce CO₂ emissions and save money.
- Sustainable road transport -biofuels have lower CO₂ emissions; tracking technology contributes to a greater efficiency and sustainability.
- Rail transport – if maritime transport is not an option, for example, due to time constraints, rail transport or the combination of rail and air transport is more sustainable than just air transport.
- Multimodal solutions– by combining different modes of transportation you can find the most sustainable option for each stage of transport.
- Less than container load (LCL) – combine your cargo with other shipments to deliver a full container load (FCL). This method is more convenient and cost-effective, not to mention the positive impact on the environment!
As a responsible packaging company, we work hard every day to minimize our carbon footprint. You can read about our eco-friendly products HERE!